Tuesday 12 May 2009

Public Speaking Competition

(With Puan Wong and her daughter)

On 25th last month, I represented my school in the Public Speaking competition organized by Sunway college. It was my very first attempt and therefore I was pretty excited yet confident to a certain extent. While I was lying on my folded arms in the auditorium, waiting to be allocated into the respective rooms, I observed the surrounding closely and it was kind of freaky watching some of the contestants busy rehearsing their speeches. Somehow it reminded me of my primary years where I represented the school for story-telling competitions.

(With the other contestants in my group)

Apparently there were a total of 90 contestants and only 12 will be chosen to enter the semi-finals whereby another 6 for the finals. All the contestants were divided into smaller groups with only one judge and a time-keeper for each group. My group consisted of 8 contestants. This competition was different for unlike the usual procedure of a prepared speech of individual choice and a set speech for impromptu, Sunway College did the other way round with the topic “Lost” for the prepared speech while the impromptu speech was different for everyone. Well, all I can say is besides having a good exposure and experience, I’ve no regrets as I did the very best I knew how and the very best I could. Coincidentally, that was also the conclusion in my prepared speech as quoted by Abraham Lincoln =p

No comments: